Friday, April 24, 2009









Form & Content 6



My first example of good typography is a movie poster I found online. It definitely caught my eye, because of the really cool artistic design used with the gun. The blacks, grays, and whites give the poster an old school look almost like an old western. The posters also have nice intricate work using the swirl designs with the smoke. I really like everything about these posters, becuase they have depth and movement. The poster on the left uses the art of the letters W and Q within the design. Overall, this was a successful advertisement for a movie.



My second example of good typography was also found online. It was an article found titled "Saw of Truth". The thing that caught my eye was the left page where the designer used different fonts and words to create the image of a saw. Although only some words are visible at this distance, they are the most important words that the article is about. For example: truth, leadership, and justice. I also like the colors used a lot. they tie both pages together nicely and have somewhat of an earthy feel.




My third example of good typography is one that I found on vacation in Hilton Head. This is a restaurant that my brother, a local there, frequently visits. It is a Brownsbackers bar and the owners are from the Cleveland area. The concept is a street vendor vibe, but with their own twist. While the food is amazing, the inside if the cafe is also decorated to represent the street corner. Their logo is what I chose as good typography, becuase it is simple, but something I had never seen before. It looks like a manhole cover right from the city. The rough look to it gives it a genuine feel and it is easy to read. It is just a really cool design that really represents what their restaurant is all about.











The first logo I chose as a bad example is Pepsi-Cola's new rendition of Sierra Mist and Pepsi. They just recently re-designed their packaging which actually seems to be a step backward. When you have such a recognizeable brand it is a very bold move to change your logo. I think that they can achieve it, but their new designs seem very bland and almost like a generic brand. The Pepsi logo is a more modern approach, but with a plain blue background and the Sierra Mist seems like a way more artistic approach. For some reason they just don't sit right with me. Maybe its because I am so used to what I grew up with.









For my second bad example I chose the new logo for the 2012 Olympics in London. The thing that I do like is the colors that they chose. It is very bright and caught my attention, and I like how they used white as an accent. The one thing that bothers me is the attempt to make the year 2012 in the color pink. It was hard to come about at first, but I don't think that many people would see it at first glance. The numbers are very choppy and haphazard. I think if maybe the numbers 2 would look somewhat similar it might be easier to recognize, but they are shaped differently. I think with just a little bit of tweaking it could really work.






My last example for bad design is pretty self-explanatory. I found this while searching online and to be honest, I'm not really sure what kind of company it is for. This was on their website and I think it is some kind of recording company, but that is all I can think of. First of all, there is WAY too much going on here. I feel like the designer took a bunch of clip art and pasted it all around the title. There is stuff hanging and on top of stuff everywhere and they probably could have just stuck with one thing and kept it simple. It doesn't explain anything about the company or what they might be about. It almost gives me a headache looking at it for too long.

2 comments:

  1. WOW there is alot going on in this logo. I don't think they left anything out but the kitchen sink. They could have definatly cleaned this up and made it a lot more simple.

    ReplyDelete